Journalism and Mass Communication has emerged as a major area of interest and has immensely contributed to the development & empowerment of society. As an academic discipline, it has rapidly acquired importance and become a major attraction among the students. This department is an opening to the world of Journalism and Mass Communication with a dominant knowledge-based society. We provide Theoretical as well Practical knowledge which is useful to students to get placed in the renowned Media organisation such as Leading News Papers, Television News Channels and Online News Portals.
Master in Journalism and Mass Communication (MJMC)
This Master’s course (MJMC) course is designed for students who want to build their careers in Media Industry. There are many opportunities in different media organisations such as Print, TV/ Electronic Media, Online Media as well as Social Media. An In-depth knowledge will be provided in theories of communication and journalism as well as Mass Media Research. The course is very well designed to accommodate the changes happening in Media. The classroom teaching and the practical knowledge will help the student to learn different aspects of Mass Media and its working structure. This course is affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
- To nurture and promote the journalistic and research skills through practical work, assignments, project reports, seminars, as well as various other activities and to help students to get acquaint with advanced journalism and media practices.
- To help students to develop multi-tasking skills those are required in the dynamic Media Industry.
- Students will learn the different media technologies those are used in the Print, Television/ Electronic as well as online media platforms.
- The knowledge about Public Relations (PR), Advertising and Promotions will enhance the analysing and thought processing abilities of the students.
- To fully acquaint students with the need of current affairs and how to create the news from current happenings. To develop the news sense and make them understand the news values.
- To offer appropriate grounding in the recent as well as future issues, ideas, and challenges in the world of 21st century thereby broadening the world view of the future media practitioners.
Sanyog B. Ingle
Qualification: B.Tech (Computer Engineering), Masters in Journalism and Mass Communication, MA (Political Science)
Experience: Teaching Faculty of Journalism in MMCC, Pune, Sub Editor at Loksatta.com, Sub Editor at Sakal Times (Sakal Media Group)
The MA JMC course will be of two years duration consisting of two semesters per year with Credit Based Choice System (CBCS). Thus the course is of four semesters.
*(For more details please refer course syllabus provided by SPPU.)
In addition to this course of credit system as mentioned above three extra credit course of 10 credits will be included:
- Human rights- 02 credits
- Cyber security/ information security – 04 credits
- Skilled based courses/ Constitution of India- 04 credits
Total 10 additional credits
Eligibility for the Course:
The student who has passed 12th standard + any graduate degree of any recognized university shall be held eligible to be admitted to MJMC course.
Important information about the course:
|Medium of instruction||Marathi/ English|
|Medium of examination||Marathi/ English|
|Timing of the course||11.00 am to 5.00 pm|
|Annual Fees||Rs. 35,405/-|
|Intake of seats||60 per batch|
B. Experimental Work
Students will be producing Experimental News Paper, Tabloid, Magazine, radio bulletin, documentary, short film, news bulletin, etc. during the course of two years.
Every student will have to take up an internship in Print, Electronic and New Media during the two years. They will have to submit a detailed report of the same.
D. Local Visits and Study Tours
During the two years various local visits will be conducted, attendance of the students would be compulsory.
E. Internal Assessment
Assignments may be taken in the form of class tutorials, home assignments, seminars, workshops, presentation and field work. Practical work will include evaluation of Internship report, local visit report, and participation in producing experimental work, subject wise assignments and attendance record.
- Well-equipped class rooms
- Internet facility with 12 MBPS dedicated lese line
- Projector facility in class room
- Well-equipped computer lab with 20 work stations
- DSLR still camera
- Audio editing setup based on protocol
- Video editing setup based on Premier Pro
- TV Reporter, News Anchor, News Editor in News Channels.
- Public Relation Officer, Communication officer in Government.
- Reporter, Sub Editor, Editor Online
- Reporter, Sub-Editor, Editor Photo Journalist in Newspapers.
- Radio Jockey (RJ) in Private Radio Channel, Radio News Reader, Announcer in All India Radio.
- Public Relation Assistant in Political and Commercial field.
- Corporate Communication, Internal Communication in Corporate Sectors.
- Content Writer, Content Manager, and Social Media Manager in Industries such as Advertising and other industries.